Otavalo Day Trip
Pick ups at several hotels located in the 3 main areas of the city of Quito:
La Carolina Park, Plaza Foch, Plaza Grande,
Boarding from 07:00 a.m. to 08:00 a.m.
Return to Quito at approximately 7:00 p.m. depending on the traffic on the roads
Otavalo is a tourist destination par excellence in the country, in this site you can become familiar with the Kichwa Otavalo people and their internationally recognized artisan works. Browse the market and its corners, buy colorful textiles and handicrafts, and enjoy the local gastronomy. On our one-day tour you will be able to make several stops at viewpoints and cultural centers to finally visit the largest indigenous market in Latin America.
Full Day Trip to Otavalo
- We will make the pick-ups at several hotels located in the 3 main areas of Quito:
La Carolina Park, Plaza Foch, Plaza Grande
Pickups between 06h00 a 07h00 am
- If you want to be picked up from another point further away, we can do it with an additional payment, you have to write to us, and we will coordinate your boarding.
- Pick-ups are always reconfirmed until the night before the tour departure, if one day before the departure of the tour if you have not received the confirmation, you can write to WhatsApp 0983359-796.
- We begin our journey north along the Pan-American highway, we will make a stop in Cayambe, where we will visit a local enterprise where they prepare biscuits, here we will taste the products of the area and have time for breakfast. (Breakfast not included)
- At this stop there is a small monument to the Middle of the World, it is a sphere or ball that was placed in this sector to mark the point of the equatorial line, it is not a museum, it is a monument placed by the geodesic missions as a landmark , here we can observe this spherical monument and learn more about its importance in this sector.
- We will continue our journey north to reach the province of Imbabura, known as the province of lakes.
- We will visit the viewpoint of the lake, from this point you can see its two main attractions, Lake San Pablo and the Imbabura volcano. Lake San Pablo is the largest natural lake in Ecuador and the only one in the world that is located at zero latitude.
- The Imbabura volcano has a height of 4,621 meters above sea level and we know it as the ¨Taita Imbabura¨, from the viewpoint we can observe this magical Andean landscape in which the lake and the volcano complement each other with the surrounding communities.
- After this visit we will continue on our way to the Peguche waterfall.
- The Peguche Waterfall is 20 meters high and 6 meters wide, it is located within a recreational and ceremonial area of the community, here you can appreciate the protective forest that has an extension of 15 hectares. It is a place managed by the community and with our visit we support the conservation of this forest.
- Peguche/chi: It has Kichwa origin and means “steam or mist of sacred water that bathes from above.” Vaho in Kichwa means sami, samay, ashnac, it can be understood as a synonym of energy or power of the yacumama. Ceremonies and festivities are held at the solstices and equinoxes.
- Otavalo is culture and in our next stop we will visit the house of the musical group Ñanda Mañachi, here we will be able to observe the different musical instruments used in the Andean countries to create folk music. In this visit we will be able to get to know the artists up close and we will also be able to understand more about their culture and their love of art.
- We will make a stop for lunch (Lunch not included) in a restaurant in the area, with various options from tourist menus to typical dishes, we recommend you try the fritada or carne colorada that are typical dishes of the area.
- The Otavalo market is known locally as the Plaza de Ponchos and is the largest indigenous market in Latin America. In this place you can find a wide variety of textiles, jewelry, handbags, alpaca toys, necklaces, leather goods, hats and many other things. In this place you can also interact with local people and observe their work.
- We recommend you walk through all the aisles of the market and admire the different types of crafts that are offered, there are various prices and qualities so it all depends on your budget.
- In the market you can enjoy free time to make your purchases. After the visit to the Otavalo market we will begin our return to the capital city.
- Return to Quito for disembarkation in the same boarding places.
- Note: The order of the visits may vary according to weather conditions.
- Touristic transportation
- Pickups and drop off from the hotel in Quito in the three main areas
- Bilingual guide (English and Spanish)
- Entrance to the cable car
- Entrance to Devil’s Cauldron waterfall
- Entrance to the End of the world swing
- Extreme activities (Prices may vary between 15 usd to 20 usd each activity per person)
- Unspecified details
- Wear light clothing, in layers and bring a sweater for the return, walking shoes, glasses, water, a cap, a rain poncho or additional clothing in case you decide to get wet in the Pailón del Diablo.
- Bring a copy or photo of your passport.