Cotopaxi Day Trip
Pick up at several hotels located in the 3 main areas of the city of Quito:
- La Carolina Park, Plaza Foch, Plaza Grande
Pickups are between 07h00 a 08h00 am
- End of the tour between 7 pm approximately, depending on the traffic on the roads.
The Cotopaxi volcano is one of the highest active volcanoes in the world. It is located in the area called ¨Avenida de los Volcanes¨, on our one-day tour you will be able to see this almost perfect snow-capped cone of 5,897 meters above sea level, the second highest volcano from Ecuador.
Full Day Trip to Cotopaxi
- We will make the pick-ups at several hotels located in the 3 main areas of Quito.
- If you want to be picked up from another point further away, we can do it with an additional payment, you have to write to us and we will coordinate your boarding.
- Pick ups are always reconfirmed until the night before the tour departure, if one day before the departure of the tour, if you have yet to receive the confirmation, you can write to WhatsApp at 0983359-796.
- We begin our journey south along the Pan-American highway, we will make the first stop in Machachi where you can enjoy a delicious breakfast (Breakfast not included), there are several options that you can buy, as well as snacks and drinks for the road, since lunch it will be late in the afternoon.
- At this stop you can also use the bathrooms and the ATM. It is preferable to carry cash to make the payment in restaurants and craft shops since most do not accept payment by credit card.
- We continue our trip to the Cotopaxi National Park, along the way you will be able to observe landscapes of the Andean paramo, upon arrival at the park the guide will register and we will be ready to enjoy this incredible place.
- The first stop is in the Limpiopungo lagoon, it is located at 3,800 meters above sea level and covers approximately 200 hectares. Around the lagoon there are a large number of reed plants, as well as native medicinal plants. You can also see Andean gulls flying around the lagoon, ducks, curiquingues and other birds.
- We will visit the Mariscal Sucre Interpretation Center located at 4,810 masl, it has several exhibition rooms, a souvenir shop and a cafeteria. Here you will find an exhibition of photographs and information about the Cotopaxi volcano.
- We will go up to the parking lot at 4,500 masl to begin our walk to the José Rivas refuge. In the parking lot it is very common to see moorland foxes and Curiquingues.
- At this stop our adventure begins walking in the second highest volcano in Ecuador, the walk up and down can last between two hours and two and a half hours depending on your physical condition and weather conditions, remember that the most important thing is to enjoy the path and beautiful scenery.
- Finally we will arrive at the José Rivas Refuge, where you will be able to enjoy an incredible view and depending on the season you will be able to observe the snow up close. The refuge has bathrooms, coffee shop services, we recommend you to have a coca tea so you don’t suffer from the altitude, you will also have food options, remember to bring cash since they do not accept other forms of payment.
- In this place you can also stamp your passport with the official Cotopaxi stamp so that you always remember that you made this hike to the second highest volcano in Ecuador.
- Finally we will make a stop for lunch (Lunch not included) at a farm near Cotopaxi, with various options from tourist menus to typical dishes, we recommend you try the rich potato locro for the cold.
- Return to Quito for disembarkation in the same boarding places.
- Note: The order of the visits may vary according to weather conditions.
- Private touristic transportation
- Pickups and drop off from some hotels in Quito
- Bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- Entrance to the National Park
- Visit to Mariscal Sucre Interpretation Center
- Guided walk at Limpiopungo lake
- Hike to the first refuge José Rivas at 15.744 ft
- Wear warm clothes, walking shoes, face mask, glasses, water, cap, gloves, scarf.
- If you wish to have a stamp in your passport when visiting Cotopaxi, bring the original passport, otherwise bring a copy or photo of the passport.