Along the range of the Andean Mountains we can find the Cotopaxi National Park filled with an exceptional variety of flora and fauna species; also, it is home to the active volcano Cotopaxi (5,897 meters above sea level). The Limpiopungo lagoon is located at the foot of the volcano and here one could enjoy the view of the Andean Paramo and take incredible shots of the lagoon and the volcano.
What you will do
- Direct pick-up from your hostel or hotel in Quito to begin the trip to Cotopaxi (exact time will depend on which neighborhood you are located in)
Pickups between 07h00 a 07h45
End of the tour between 18h00 y 18h30
- Very close to Quito is the second highest volcano in Ecuador, the Cotopaxi has 5,897 meters above sea level and is active. On our one-day tour you can visit this protected area and climb to the first refuge at 4,864 meters above sea level.
- We will leave Quito early and take the Pan-American highway to the South, we will make a small stop to buy something to eat (food not included), to use the bathrooms and use the cash machine if required.
- Then we enter the Cotopaxi National Park, where we register and we can access the protected area.
- The first stop is at the Limpiopungo lagoon, from this point we can observe the different species of birds, native plants of the area and the volcanoes near the park.
- Then we will visit the Mariscal Sucre Interpretation Center, where there is an exhibition of photographs and information about the Cotopaxi volcano.
- Finally we will go up to the parking lot to start our walk to the José Rivas refuge located at 4,864 meters above sea level. The walk can take between an hour and an hour and a half, the most important thing is to enjoy the road and the beautiful landscape.
- On our way back to Quito we will make a stop for lunch at a farm near Cotopaxi. We recommend you try the delicious potato locro for the cold. (Lunch not included)
- Return to Quito, direct drop-off at your hotel/hostel in Quito.
- Private touristic transportation
- Pickups and drop off from hotel in Quito
- Bilingual guide
- Entrance to the National Park
- Guided walk at Limpiopungo lake
- Hike to the first refuge with the guide
What to bring
- Trekking shoes
- Passport (to get the stamp at the José Rivas Refuge)
$49 / person
$ 59 / person (3 PAX)
$ 75 / person (2 PAX)